Tuesday, January 13, 2009

True Improv!

I joined Jacquie's Project Improv pretty much the day she announced it. I think it's a wonderful way to wake up your brain and do something for a good cause all at the same time.
Project Improv Orange/Pink Block
Much as I was itching to get going on this, I had some other things going that took MUCH longer than anticipated. This morning I scheduled some sewing time and it worked!

True anal retentive perfectionist improviser that I am, I opened up EQ5 and started working on a pretty little log cabin-ish block design.
I then went to my in-house fabric store (have I told you how great that is? Dangerously great!) and pulled some pink and orange fabrics.
As soon as I cut the fabric, the whole plan evaporated. I saw those pretty selvedges and knew I had to incorporate them.
It's amazing how quickly a block grows to 12.5" though! I only had space for one selvedge.
Project Improv Orange/Pink Block
I was very happy with the outcome. Then I realized that not all my "selvedges" were true selvedges. It comes with the "improv" territory that not everything will turn out exactly as envisioned, I think.
I had to bring Bernie (15 year old Bernina) out of retirement for a little zig-zag love.
Project Improv Orange/Pink Block

I'm really happy with this block! Thanks for the inspiration Jacquie!
(You can see more Project Improv projects in the Flickr group.)

26 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! It looks great - and I love those fabrics. I have to finish some stuff before I can work on my Project Improv. I'm chomping at the bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh such happy colors!!!
    it looks great!!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a happy block!! I'm with Michelle, I'm needing the get some other things out of the way before I start, but all of the lovely improv blocks popping up are getting me very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how your block turned out. I made mine this weekend and had so much fun I couldn't stop. I made 4. You are so right that 12.5 inches grew really fast! I took pictures, I just have to upload them and send them onto Jacquie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me laugh because I'm a perfectionist too, which is why I haven't joined the Project Improv yet. I'm not quite ready to make that step! I really love this block you made. I love how you used the selvedge and it looks like the fabrics are from the same collection, or similar. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that look. It is hard for me to adjust to because when I learned to quilt while working in a quilt shop I was taught to be sure to cut off all the selvage because it is a different fabric grade and could cause odd shrinking. What do you think?

    You have to check out- http://vintagericrac.blogspot.com/ to see the beautiful work she does with selvages! She did an entire dress! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh, I REALLY like this block. Oh no, more inspiration! Orange and pink - cool. And the selvedge is a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful Twiddletails Improv block Anina!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOOOOh! Yummy Colors!
    http://allthingscolorful.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Great idea to incorporate the selvages!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ditto, ditto, ditto! it's so much fun to see what everyone is coming up with! great work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice Anina. I love your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! I love your Improv work, Anina. Your fabric choices are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your block. The pink & orange reminds me of the 60's and high school. Loved it then and still love the combo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i can only imagine how fun it would be to have an in house fabric shop. :)

    love your block!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your block! I also love the idea of Project Improv and just went over and signed up myself! Thanks for sharing. Also, using the selvedge - genius!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can imagine that the in house fabric shop is a bit dangerous :)
    Love how you included the selvedges into this block!

    ReplyDelete
  18. God... i love it!! Those colours just go together so well!! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a creative way to use the selvegaes!!! Beautiful block!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The selvedge was the perfect finishing touch - the pink and orange look so pretty together!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely cool colours, my favourite combo!

    ReplyDelete